As your experienced Colorado moving service, we at Skyline Moving Company understand that preparing for a move can be quite a stressful event that most people don't enjoy. Start by connecting with our team for a free moving quote to get an idea of what to expect. In addition, if you follow some of the moving tips below, the moving process doesn't have to be a drain on your sanity!
Our Top Moving Tips
- Start planning your move as far in advance as possible. Research local movers, get moving quotes, and reserve your chosen moving service in advance to start putting together a plan.
- Disconnect stereo equipment, computers, and any other electronic items you have. Wrap and secure all the cords and wiring — and label them so you know which cords go where.
- If you're moving into, or out of, an apartment building, make sure you talk to the building manager to secure the use of the elevator well in advance of your move. Also, ask them about any moving restrictions they may have. Relay these to your moving company ahead of your move.
- Have your large appliances serviced and disconnected.
- If you are going to be packing your household goods yourself, start as far in advance as possible. Waiting until the last minute will result in added stress and wasted time. Use our color-coded labels to help you mark what is in each box, which will help us get your stuff placed in the correct room of your new home quicker.
- Pack a box of items that you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home. Some items to include could be toiletries, tools, snacks, cell phone charges etc. Label this box "To Be Opened First."
- Allow us to pack any extremely fragile items. This ensures they are packed correctly for the move ahead.
- Dresser drawers can often be left full. Items in desks and end tables should be packed properly in boxes.
- Defrost your fridge and freezer before your move date and make sure they are empty on moving day.
- If there are any belongings you no longer want or need, get rid of them! Have a garage sale or donate them to your local thrift store. Less to move means less time and fewer headaches for you.
- Get rid of any combustible items such at fuels, aerosols, matches and propane tanks. See the full list of items we are unable to transport here.
- Make sure your most valuable items such as money, jewelry, passports, and important documents travel with you. We can't take responsibility for items of "extraordinary value."
- Keep a list of your household goods and review it with your moving foreman, along with the condition of the items, when loaded.
- Do a final walkthrough of your residence to make sure you packed everything up. Check the cupboards, closets, behind doors, and anywhere else things could hide.
- Give your moving foreman a phone number where you can be reached after you leave just in case we need to get in touch with you for anything.
Whether you are moving across the country, or just across town, the whole process can be very stressful. If you have children they could quite possibly feel that same stress and anxiety as well. For younger kids the house you are moving from may well be the only place they have called home. Here at Skyline…
One way to help your move go smoother, and lessen your stress, is to create a list of packing supplies you will need before the move. If you start planning far enough in advance you can even save some money by using resources like friends, family and neighbors to help gather these supplies. You might…
If you have moved before, or have been calling around to find the best moving company for your upcoming move, we are sure you have had the following happen to you The person on the other end of the line tells you “Yea we can do all of that for you for “X” dollars per hour and…
When you are relocating on a budget and need to save every dollar possible, there are some easy ways to get free moving boxes. No need to go buy new ones (which can easily cost you $50 or more depending on how big your house is). It’s a good idea to start saving boxes about 6…
Are you the kind of person who likes to keep track of things? Even better if you can use your smart phone or tablet to help with that! Here are a couple really useful apps that you can use on your Apple or Android phone or tablet. Sortly (Currently only available for Apple devices, but…
Hiring a Moving Company in the Fort Collins, Loveland, Estes Park, Greeley area? There are many moving companies to choose from but finding a reputable one can be a challenge. It is important to check with the PUC (Public Utilities Commission) to make sure your moving company of choice is Licensed and Insured by the…