As your Northern Colorado moving specialists, we understand that preparing for a move can be quite a stressful event that most people don't enjoy. However, if you follow some of the tips below, moving doesn't have to be a drain on your sanity!
Top Local Moving Tips
- Start planning your move as far in advance as possible. Research moving companies, get quotes, and reserve your mover to start putting together a plan.
- Disconnect stereo equipment, computers, and any other electronic items you have. Wrap and secure all the cords and wiring.
- If you are moving into, or out of, an apartment building, make sure you talk to the building manager to secure the use of the elevator well in advance of your move. Also ask them about any moving restrictions they may have. Relay these to your moving company before your move.
- Have your large appliances serviced and disconnected.
- If you are going to be packing your belongings yourself, start as soon as possible. Waiting until the last minute will result in added stress and wasted time. Use our color-coded labels to help you know what is in each box, and to help us get your stuff placed in the correct rooms of your new home quicker.
- Pack a box of items that you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home. Some items to include could be toiletries, tools, snacks, cell phone charges etc. Label this box "To Be Opened First."
- Allow your professional packers and movers to pack any extremely fragile items. This ensures they are packed correctly for the move ahead.
- Dresser drawers can often be left full. Items in desks and end tables should be packed properly in boxes.
- Defrost your fridge and freezer before your move date and make sure they are empty on moving day.
- Any belongings you no longer want or need, get rid of! Have a garage sale or donate them to your local Goodwill. Less to move means less time and headache for you.
- Get rid of any combustible items such as fuels, aerosols, matches, and propane tanks. We are unable to transport any of these types of things. See the full list here.
- Make sure your most valuable items such as money, jewelry, passports, and important documents travel with you. We can't take responsibility for items of "extraordinary value."
- Keep a list of your goods and review it with your moving foreman, along with the condition of the items when loaded.
- Do a final walkthrough of your residence to make sure you packed everything up. Check the cupboards, closets, behind doors, and anywhere else things could hide.
- Give your moving foreman a phone number where you can be reached after you leave just in case we need to get in touch with you for anything.
Read Some More Of Our Helpful Moving Tips Below
Ready to schedule your move?
Drop us a line today for a free estimate!